City of Derby’s Greg Butler made history on day one of the ASA National Age Group Champs with a British Age Group record in the 200m Breaststroke.
The 13-year old – who trains at the same club as Commonwealth 100m Breaststroke champion Adam Peaty – smashed more than 11 SECONDS off his old PB in the final to win gold.
Butler’s time of 2:25.86 was more than two seconds under the old record and he admitted he was as shocked as anyone to take the touch from lane seven in the final.
"That was incredible,” said Butler. “I didn’t expect that at all.
"The plan was to build through the race gradually but it didn’t really go like that in the end! I could really feel it coming down the back 50 and could tell it was really close.
“It’s great training with Adam [Peaty] – I watched him at the Commonwealth Games and it was really inspirational.”
Maxwell’s James Eddy was the other boys gold medallist in the 13 Yrs Age Group, slicing more than two seconds off his PB over heats and finals to win the 100m Backstroke title in 1:01.83.
In the girls' events, there were victories for Bridgend County’s Rebecca Sutton in the 200m Individual Medley, City of Glasgow’s Anna Fleming in the 100m Freestyle and Heart Of Midlothian’s Alexandra Waller in the 200m Backstroke.
- Rebecca Sutton (Bridgend County) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:21.14
- James Eddy (Maxwell) – 100m Backstroke – 1:01.83
- Anna Fleming (City of Glasgow) – 100m Freestyle – 58.28
- Greg Butler (City of Derby) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:25.86
- Alexandra Waller (Hearts of Midlothian) – 200m Backstroke – 2:19.96
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
- Elizabeth Harris (Satellite) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:23.41
- Sam Dailley (Plymouth Leander) – 100m Backstroke – 1:02.21
- Julia Jaworska (Staines) – 100m Freestyle – 58.60
- Cameron Matthews (Hamilton UAE) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:25.97
- Brooke Frost (Basildon & Phoenix) – 200m Backstroke – 2:20.70
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
- Rebecca Fell (City of Manchester) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:24.59
- Max Jameson (Guildford City) – 100m Backstroke – 1:02.63
- Meghan Byrne (Barnet Copthall) – 100m Freestyle – 58.70
- Kenan Yeung (Preston) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:31.18
- Emma Rowson (Stockport Metro) – 200m Backstroke – 2:21.41