Joshua Lawson grabbed a British Age Group record to steal the headlines in the 14 Yrs Age Group on the opening day of the 2014 National Age Group Champs.
The Millfield swimmer admitted he had been targeting the record in the 200m Breaststroke, but showed a calm head to deliver in the final, lowering the marker to 2:22.51 for gold.
"I’m pretty proud of that swim because I’ve worked for it all year," said Lawson. I did feel good going into the final because I swum a 2:26 and I felt like I could take a few more seconds off that.
"Racing that last 50 I had no idea of how close it was though. I’ve got the 100m Breast to look forward to now in two days so I’ll see if I can do something in that as well."
Southport’s Holly Hibbott reached the podium in all three finals of the girls’ events in the top age group, winning gold in the 200m Individual Medley then silver in the 100m Freestyle and 200m Backstroke.
Stockport Metro’s Madeleine Crompton took the touch in the 100m Free while Rebecca Sherwin captured gold in the 200m Back.
In the other of the boys’ events, City of Sheffield’s Elliot Clogg won a thrilling 100m Backstroke final where all three medallists ducked under a minute.
- Holly Hibbott (Southport) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:19.26
- Elliot Clogg (City of Sheffield) – 100m Backstroke – 59.73
- Madeleine Crompton (Stockport Metro) – 100m Freestyle – 57.29
- Joshua Lawson (Millfield) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:22.51
- Rebecca Sherwin (teamipswich) – 200m Backstroke – 2:13.81
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
- Tazmin Pugh (Ellesmere College Titans) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:20.26
- Jahrel Murphy (Ealing) – 100m Backstroke – 59.89
- Holly Hibbott (Southport) – 100m Freestyle – 57.38
- Lewis Fraser (Swansea Aquatics) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:26.00
- Holly Hibbott (Southport) – 200m Backstroke – 2:14.92
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
- Niamh Robinson (Pioneer 79) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:20.78
- Thomas Thornley (Bicester) – 100m Backstroke – 59.90
- Rebecca Sherwin (teamipswich) – 100m Freestyle – 57.77
- George Clough (Warrender Baths) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:26.17
- Kayleigh Parker (Taunton Deane) – 200m Backstroke – 2:21.38