Charlie Hutchison grabbed a gruelling double gold on the second day of the 2014 ASA National Age Group Champs.
The 12-year old smashed his 1500m Freestyle PB by 25 seconds to win his first gold of the meet in 17:28.50 then returned to the water in the evening session for another gold medal in the 200m Butterfly.
Hutchison was pushed all the way by Leo Karski (2:21.57 PB) before eventually touching for his second title in a three second PB of 2:19.10.
“I always thought I could get a good time in the 200 Fly and pull it out but that was a good performance,” said the Ellesmere College Titans swimmer.
“I wasn’t so sure about the 1500 because there were two heats because the other 12-year old William Bell did a great swim – a 30 second PB – and I had to wait through two heats thinking how am I going to do this.
“But I managed to do it and that’s all the hard work and training coming through.”
City of Leeds’ Sophie Hobbah continued her form from the opening day to clinch her third gold of the meet with a PB of 5:05.10 in the 400m Individual Medley while South Ayrshire’s Katie Robertson (2:37.55 PB) won the 200m Breast and Hillingdon’s Brodie Judge (1:05.01 PB) won her second gold of the meet in the 100m Fly.
In the other boys’ events, Hamilton UAE’s Sean McNicholl (56.44) won the 100m Freestyle while Barracudas RSA swimmer Luan Evert Grobbelaar (2:21.55) claimed the 200m IM title.
- Charlie Hutchison (Ellesmere College Titans) - 1500m Freestyle – 17:28.50
- Sophie Hobbah (City of Leeds) - 400m Individual Medley – 5:05.10
- Charlie Hutchison (Ellesmere College Titans) - 200m Butterfly – 2:19.10
- Katie Robertson (South Ayrshire) - 200m Breaststroke – 2:37.55
- Sean McNicholl (Hamilton UAE) - 100m Freestyle – 56.44
- Brodie Judge (Hillingdon) - 100m Butterfly – 1:05.01
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
- William Bell (City of Leicester) - 1500m Freestyle – 17:38.42
- Sophia Wilson (Guildford City) - 400m Individual Medley – 5:08.56
- Leo Karski (Boldmere) - 200m Butterfly – 2:21.57
- Sophie Fussell (Teddington) - 200m Breaststroke – 2:40.93
- Thomas Clare (teamipswich) - 100m Freestyle – 59.09
- Ellen Walshe (Ireland) - 100m Butterfly – 1:05.09
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
- Adam Davies (Plymouth Leander) - 1500m Freestyle – 17:49.75
- Niamh Hofland (Royal Wolverhampton) - 400m Individual Medley – 5:08.79
- Mario Coman (Newcastle Swim Team) - 200m Butterfly – 2:24.62
- Eleanor Howcroft (City of Leeds) - 200m Breaststroke – 2:44.72
- Reese Housden (Hatfield) - 100m Freestyle – 59.27
- Keanna Macinnes (Heart of Midlothian) - 100m Butterfly – 1:05.44