Layla Black celebrated her 14th birthday two days early with 200m Breaststroke gold on day two of NAGS14 in Sheffield.
Despite swimming the 400m Individual Medley earlier in the finals session, the City of Leeds swimmer had enough in the tank to win 200m Breaststroke gold in the 14 Yrs Age Group.
Black couldn’t quite reach her British Age Group record (13 Yrs) from the Portuguese Open last week but she insisted she could have no complaints with gold in 2:31.95, coming within a second of her PB.
“It was a good swim,” said Black. “After the 400m IM I was quite worried that I wouldn’t get close to my PB but it was quite close so I’m happy.
“I swam in Portugal last week which was really fun but it was hard – I didn’t realise how hard until after the event because I was enjoying it so much at the time.
“I knew it was going to be harder because I’ve skipped an age group so I just wanted to go out there and show what I can do. Age doesn’t matter as much as how much training you do and I train hard so I was hoping to do well.“
Holly Hibbott moved to the top of the medal table with her second and third golds in the 100m Butterfly and 4x100m Freestyle Relay respectively.
The Southport swimmer clocked a PB 1:01.74 for her individual title then anchored her club’s relay home in an impressive 56.78.
Ellesmere College Titans swimmer Tazmin Pugh was the other form swimmer of the day in the girls 14 Yrs Age Group, picking up 400m IM gold in a PB 4:56.45 then 100m Fly silver behind Hibbott in a PB 1:02.44.
The boys’ titles went to Hatfield’s Nathan Hughes (16:05.94 PB) in the 1500m Freestyle, Bicester’s Kieran Bird (2:04.85 PB) in the 200m Butterfly, Plymouth Leander’s Lewis Burras (53.48 PB) in the 100m Freestyle and Warrender’s George Clough (2:11.34 PB) in the 200m IM
- Nathan Hughes (Hatfield) – 1500m Freestyle – 16:05.94
- Tazmin Pugh (Ellesmere College Titans) – 400m Individual Medley – 4:56.45
- Kieran Bird (Bicester) – 200m Butterfly – 2:04.85
- Layla Black (City of Leeds) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:31.96
- Lewis Burras (Plymouth Leander) – 100m Freestyle – 53.48
- Holly Hibbott (Southport) – 100m Butterfly – 1:01.74
- George Clough (Warrender Baths) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:11.34
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
- George Taplin (Hillingdon) – 1500 Freestyle – 16:19.14
- Isobel Griffiths (City of Birmingham) – 400m Individual Medley – 4:57.67
- Jakub Karl (Hamilton UAE) – 200m Butterfly – 2:06.95
- Leah Roughan (Grantham) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:35.91
- Jakub Karl (Hamilton UAE) – 100m Freestyle – 53.49
- Tazmin Pugh (Ellesmere College Titans) – 100m Butterfly – 1:02.44
- Joshua Lawson (Millfield) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:12.92
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
- Max Murphy (Milton Keynes) – 1500 Freestyle – 16:20.03
- Molly Roodhouse (Stockport Metro) – 400m Individual Medley – 4:59.65
- Luca Sinnott (Barnet Copthall) – 200m Butterfly – 2:11.31
- Lara Bate (Millfield) – 200m Breaststroke – 2:35.91
- Elliot Clogg (City of Sheffield) –100m Freestyle - 54.40
- Katherine Brown (City of Peterborough) – 100m Butterfly – 1:03.36
- William Gayne (Nova Centurion) – 200m Individual Medley – 2:13.02