Sam Dailley and Ryan Retson set British Age Group records on a memorable night in the 13 Yrs Age Group at the 2014 National Age Group Champs.
Plymouth Leander swimmer Dailley nearly broke the 100m Butterfly record in the heats, coming close to the 58.47 marker with his qualifying PB of 58.62.
But he obliterated the old record in the final, using his size 12 feet to power him home in 58.08.
“That feels great because I only just missed the record in the heats so I was really keen to do it in the final,” said Dailley.
“It was a really close final but I could see where I was in the field because I turn my head as part of my technique.
“I came here wanting to win that race but I’ve only just got under the minute for it so to win in 58.0 is a bit of a surprise and a massive PB for me.”
F.I.R.S.T swimmer Retson was also impressive as he sliced two seconds off his PB from the heats to win 200m Freestyle gold.
The 13-year old, who won the 100m Free title earlier in the meet, only ducked under two minutes for the first time in the heats, but he stormed to victory in the final in 1:57.63, beating the old British Age Group record of 1:58.18.
“I was chuffed with that – it was a really good swim and obviously I’m really happy to get the British and Scottish record,” said Retson.
“I don’t know where the 1:57 came from really – I just tried to go out there and win the race. After the first 50 I thought I had a bit of a lead so I just tried to push hard to stay ahead and I’m really pleased with how I finished.”
Hamilton UAE’s Cameron Matthews took the boys’ 100m Breast title in 1:07.79 while the girls’ gold went to Swim Trafford’s Holly Rowlinson in a PB 1:13.83.
Plymouth Leander’s Tegan Drew was the other 13 Yrs individual gold medallist on the night, taking her 100m Back PB down to 1:04.81 to claim gold.
- Ryan Retson (F.I.R.S.T.) – 200m Freestyle - 1:57.63 (GBAGR)
- Tegan Drew (Plymouth Leander) - 100m Backstroke – 1:04.81
- Cameron Matthews (Hamilton UAE) - 100m Breaststroke – 1:07.79
- Holly Rowlinson (Swim Trafford) - 100m Breaststroke – 1:13.83
- Sam Dailley (Plymouth Leander) - 100m Butterfly – 58.08 (GBAGR)
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
- Cameron Matthews (Hamilton UAE) - 200m Freestyle – 2:00.82
- Alexandra Walker (Heart of Midlothian) - 100m Backstroke – 1:05.35
- Jordan Ludlam (Aquae Sulis) - 100m Breaststroke – 1:08.98
- Rebecca Fell (City of Manchester Aquatics) - 100m Breaststroke – 1:14.42
- Daniel Savage (Northampton) - 100m Butterfly – 58.52
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
- Logan Davies (Torfaen Dolphins) – 200m Freestyle – 2:02.53
- Brooke Frost (Basildon Phoenix) - 100m Backstroke – 1:06.19
- Kenan Yeung (Preston) - 100m Breaststroke – 1:10.08
- Rosanna Arnold (Guildford City) - 100m Breaststroke – 1:15.44
- Yacob Alkhulaifa (Qatar) - 100m Butterfly – 1:01.05